Let’s discuss all the features that are coming up in the new WordPress 5.2 and what you can expect to see from the release.
First of all, WordPress 5.2 will be the second major release in 2019, with plans to include Block Editor Updates, Site Health and WSOD protection, Fatal Error Recovery, PHP error protection, brand new block directories and update package signatures and more.
Let’s look on the main features WordPress 5.2 will introduce.
WSOD Protection and Site Health
WSOD known as the White Screen of Death protection feature which supposed to be introduced in 5.1 version. Now it has been promoted to 5.2.
Although it missed in 5.1 version of WordPress, the PHP team has redesigned PHP error protection and the goal is to release it in 5.2 version.
Site Health Checker plugin is another highly demanded feature, which being proposed into the core of version 5.2.
Updates in Block Editor
With the release of WordPress 5.0 the Block Editor feature that is also known as Gutenberg was introduced to the WordPress ecosystem. Since then, the block editor has evolved and received new features and functionality.
Now, WordPress 5.2 introduces even more new features and enhancements the Block Editor. Let’s get over them.
The block editor feature in WordPress 5.2 will be much faster than the previous editor in 5.1 version.
In earlier version, editing a long blog post with many blocks could make the experience slower. But now, with 5.2, the load time of many posts could be reduced by up to 35%.
WordPress 5.2 also cuts the keypress or typing time by half, which makes the typing feel much more faster and snappier.
New Blocks in WordPress 5.2!
A several new block will be introduced in WordPress 5.2:
- Calendar block to display posts in their respective days of publishing.
- RSS block that will help you to display any RSS feed that you like in your site.
- Tag cloud block which will show all the tags you have.
- Amazon Kindle block for inserting content from your favorite book reader.
The main WordPress goal is to allow everyone to express himself on the web and democratize the online presence world. With 5.2 release WordPress are improving several accessibility issues in the block editor:
- The post URL slug will be easier to find due to the updated tags and help text.
- Updated keyboard navigating by using landmarks will allow a more clearer styling focus.
- Screen reader improved with new voice/speak messages in WordPress 5.2. The existing voice messages have also been upgraded and improved.
- Gutenberg will work with reduced motion setting in your browser configuration.
Fatal Error Recovery Mode in 5.2
WordPress 5.2 will allow administrators to fix or mitigate fatal errors on their websites that were previously unresolved without developer intervention and modification of the code base.
Now, even if a fatal error will make the backend completely inaccessible, the administrator will still be able to log in and take action on the issue.
As you see, tons of great improvement to our favorite CMS platform. Now, just pick a non eig hosting and you good to go!
My website is hosted on DreamHost, I really like it due to it's stability and helpful support. Furthermore, their servers are extremely reliable, secured and fast, I don't remember when the last time we had a server downtime. If you sourcing for a great hosting service, go grab it.
Latest posts by Johnny McKinsey (see all)
- How to Test VPS Performance Over a Long Time Period? - January 15, 2020
- Full List of EIG Web Hosting Companies Brands With Details (+ Non-EIG Hosting Recommendation), Beware of EIG Hosting (Updated 2020)! - January 2, 2020
- DreamHost Review : Pros, Cons & Comparisons of DreamHost WordPress Web Hosting (2020 Updated) - January 2, 2020